The Director's Corner: Your NYMC Health Sciences Library: 2013
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) of New York Medical College (NYMC) enthusiastically supports the vision, mission, and new initiatives of our merger into the Touro College and University System. For our current 2014 academic year, we have significantly expanded our hours for studying, added resources, and expanded services. And, we would love to expand our services to every one of our users: especially you!
In July 2013 the staff updated our three year strategic plan for FY2014-FY2016: http://library.nymc.edu/Information/goals1314.cfm,which is our working list of priorities. FY2014 objectives are well developed, but we are still looking three years ahead. Library committees, both standing and ad hoc, have been created to better foster results. Committees include: collection development, document delivery management, and web management, along with communications, exhibits, and NYMC archives…just to mention a few. On any given day, the library staff diligently and enthusiastically manages multiple priorities and projects: the University's, yours and ours. And we are delighted to report on our progress.
A summary of our FY2013 achievements are available at: http://library.nymc.edu/Information/summary2013.cfm
Our highlights cover activities from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 (not in rank order J):
- Refined our re-designed website: http://library.nymc.edu;
- Researched NYMC historic portraits, notable alums, and artifacts; Created biographies and signage;
- Completed exhibit plan and hosted 5 events including the National Library of Medicine's exhibit: "Opening Doors: Contemporary African American Academic Surgeons;" See: http://fyi.libmedia.nymc.edu/?p=3651
- Established Friends Group and program: http://library.nymc.edu/friends/;
- Almost tripled the number of accessible electronic books: from 6,157 to 17,334;
- We purchased eBrary, our first collaborative purchase with our Touro colleagues;
- Awarded/implemented NLM subcontract: Better technology for better reference services, which has led to new options for Ask-a-Librarian questions, answers, web pages, table of contents alerts (TOCs), and scheduling software for rooms and classes;
- Created communication plan for InTouch Library Link column, blog posts, announcements, online news posts, and FYI: News, our more formal newsletter;
- Upgraded all study space with new ergonomic chairs;
- Produced 19th edition of the faculty author bibliography and hosted author recognition event;
- Awarded New York State Dept. of Education Cooperative Collection Development Grant;
- Doubled the number of GoToMeeting webinars scheduled and supported:
- Increased number of onsite user visits by almost 10%;
- Library home page views increased by 50%;
- Presented innovative library project posters at the Medical Library Association meeting, Boston, MA, May, 2013;
These are only some of our activities supported on a daily basis, all while providing both traditional and more virtual access and resource options.
About the Library:
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) serves all faculty, employees, students, sponsored residents and fellows of the New York Medical College. As of June 2011, faculty and students of the Touro College and University System have onsite access privileges. The Library's services and resources are established to respect the requirements of our overall university system, yet provide the appropriate access individuals require.
The HSL's webpage (http://library.nymc.edu) serves as the gateway to the library's hours, services, and resources. The Library facility, including the Educational Media Services unit, is located in Valhalla, New York, in both the Basic Sciences Building (BSB) and the Medical Education Center (MEC). The Library consists of approximately 19,000 square feet, provides high-speed broadband to the University network as well as wireless capabilities. The Library maintains 9 Servers [with 1 in the Cloud], to support the library's infrastructure including its website (http://library.nymc.edu), wiki, blog, etc. With two newly upgraded labs, the library provides state-of-the-art computers and teaching labs. The Library's NYMCat catalog serves as the master file for all of our resources.
The Library participates in various global networks or consortia…more than a dozen overall. The New York State Library has designated us as a Leader Electronic Doorway Library. The Library is also a Resource Library in Region 1 of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM). The Library actively participates in the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) global network and remains a full member of METRO, the New York metropolitan area library planning cooperative. Loansome Doc use is promoted and encouraged; we honor METRO card access for the public via their local libraries. The Library is also a founding member of the HILOW+ library consortia, composed of health sciences libraries in the upper Westchester County and Hudson Valley region of New York State. The Library continues to support members via a web site address for this group.
Historically, the Library was established in 1885 under pressure from students and alumni with encouragement from the faculty. In 1972 the libraries of The New York Medical College Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospitals and Westchester Academy of Medicine, Purchase, New York merged under an agreement signed by both parties. Until 1992, the members of the Academy were considered primary library constituents. The library has grown and changed with each move of its parent institution, New York Medical College.
Take some time to explore our resources, especially the links to the left of this page. Contact us, by any and all means. Again, welcome!
Diana Cunningham, MLS, MPH, AHIP, Associate Dean and Director
Updated 08/01/2013 DCunningham